I LOVE cherries. And I love the beginning of the summer, because that means it's cherry season. You can only find them for such a short time, and knowing that their delicious pleasure is so fleeting makes them even more blissful.
I also love chocolate. Which is why turning that bowl of fresh cherries into this. . .
. . .is pure heaven. My absolute, all-time favorite dessert. This is a huge statement for me. I love to bake and I have quite a sweet-tooth, so to narrow it down to a single favorite is pretty tough. But really, just look at that perfection. . . a sweet, cookie-like almond crust, filled with chocolate ganache, and topped with cherries at the peak-of-freshness. Mmmmmmm. . .
I discovered this recipe about 6 years ago when we lived in California. We had a cherry tree in our backyard (along with an apricot tree and 2 apple trees--man, I miss those!) and there were several cherry farms about a half hour from our house. So I'd go pick them by the bagful when they were ripe. I was happy to just eat them straight from bag, but then, Ms. Edon Waycott changed everything for me when the LA Times published her Chocolate and Cherry Tart recipe.
And now, my dear friends, I'm going to pass it along to you!
Chocolate and Cherry Tart
crust:
butter, for preparing pan
3/4 cup whole unpeeled almonds
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 Tbsp milk
1/4 tsp almond extract
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly butter a 9" tart pan with a removable bottom.
Finely grind the almonds and toast in the 350 oven on a baking sheet for 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove and cool. Return the nuts to the food processor and add the flour, salt, and sugar. Pulse to combine. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture, processing until it resembles a coarse meal. Add the milk and almond extract and pulse just until the dough comes together.
Turn the dough into the pan and press evenly over teh bottom and sides of the pan using plastic wrap. Bake until the crust is light brown, at 350, for 35-40 minutes.
filling:
6 oz fine semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup whiping cream
1 pound pitted dark sweet cherries (about 3 cups)
1/2 cup melted currant or apple jelly for glazing (optional)
Melt the chocolate with the cream in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until well combined, then remove from heat and cool until the filling is the consistency of soft pudding (~10 min). Pour into the baked crust and smooth the surface. Press the cherries, stem side down, into the surface of the chocolate as close together as possible. Glaze with the jelly, and enjoy the pure bliss!







13 comments:
That looks AMAZING!!!!!!! Thanks!
I was going to say the same thing. YUMMMMMMMM!!!! Wow, I wish we lived closer. Hey, are you also going to share the recipe for those awesome cookies that Hayden is devouring in that recent post??!! They look yummy too!!!!
yum!!! definitely trying that soon!
those pictures are fabulous by the way!
-ak-
I ADORE cherries -- just bought my first batch of the year this week! I just might have to make this tart to share with the ladies at work...
-Aunt Laura
I'm sort of furious that I never had this at your house in all the millions of times I ate there. Maybe you better come visit RIGHT NOW and make it for me. Miss you.
I saw your cherry photos last night and am pretty sure I dreamed of them. I woke up with them on my mind and must find some today! I love cherries and this year I plan to freeze a whole bunch because they are tasty in the winter time.
You're photos are looking really good...looks like your hard work is paying off. I might have to come over for some tips. I have all the equipment...just need a little more time and help. :) I'll call soon.
wow. I mean, WOW. That looks tasty, Amy.
oh i hear you on the cherries! we just got some last week, and unfortunately alla has rediscovered her love of them after taking a hiatus last summer. so that means i have to share. HATE. SHARING. FRUIT. now how on EARTH did you not make this for us while we were all in california? might have to try that. but honestly i've never tried a cherry dessert because that means fewer cherries to eat from the bag! LOL. and also i'd have to get a pitter.
i should have just said "DITTO what samantha said."
Um, why have I never had this?
You have some serious making up to do to win me back. ;)
(HA! Just read Samantha's commment. Apparently you have double the work to do!)
(And J.J.'s!)
Anyway, love the yummy recipe and am blown away by the photos. Maybe you should venture into the food stylist/photography business...
So, I got my cherries yesterday at the farmer's market in Old Colorado City and they are delicious. However, I still keep coming back to your blog to re-read your recipe. It looks like I'm going to have to make one to settle my brain or cherries will forever be in my dreams. Then again, maybe that isn't so bad! You should find some tasty cherries in Montana if it ever stops snowing up there. Anyone know about Dayton cherries??? Do cherries help heal husbands with broken backs? Still looking for a cure but to be honest, he's be a wonderful patient and great around the house full time. Now I have more time to blog! Thanks Amy...oh, feel free to save a piece so I can use it as a control for mine! HA!
Hey Janelle, I was at the health food store this morning and there was a sign right next to the cherries that read, "cherries are a natural pain reliever"...so I guess maybe the WILL help Mike's back. :)
Thanks for the tip Erin! I'm headed out right now for more Cherries! What a wonderful excuse to have to buy more...lots more!
Post a Comment