Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ten on Tuesday: The Wednesday Edition

Please forgive me for bending the rules a bit. I really had every intention to post this on Tuesday, so the spirit is true!

1. We will be in our house for 20 more days. That makes me sad.

2. The movers are coming in exactly 14 days. That makes me stressed.

3. We're not actually leaving Colorado for another 35 days after we're out of our house. That gives me mixed emotions. . . joy that we get to spend more time with our friends here once all the boxing and shipping hassle is over, but trepidation that we'll be mooching off of some very very generous friends that are taking 2 adults, 1 toddler, 1 dog, and 2 cats into their home for those 35 days.

4. We do have a new place to call home in Montana, we just won't officially settle in until the Air Force allows Rich to move (which is in August). I love, love, love the house and am excited to get settled there. Having a place that I'm happy to go makes leaving here much easier.

5. I'm going back to work. I know, we're leaving soon, but a great opportunity presented itself. I'll be working 2 days a week as a consultant to my old company from now until the end of July. My first day was yesterday, for only 2 hours, so Hayden came to the office with me. I must admit, it was just like riding a bike. I quickly picked it right back up and actually enjoyed the work-related conversation.

6. Don't get me wrong, I really do love being a stay-at-home-mom. At the beginning it was a tough transition. I was so used to having a checklist of daily "to-do's" that I could organize my time around. As a mom, there are still "to-do's" but I would sometimes get to the end of a day and feel like I hadn't accomplished anything. I've adjusted to that and now realize that even if the dishes and laundry didn't get done, I did spend quality time nurturing and raising my son. And that's a pretty important "to-do". And I actually enjoy my days. . . even the sometimes tedious tasks that are part of the job (diaper changes, picking up toys, etc, etc). So, I do have a little bit of guilt about taking this part-time work and sending Hayden to the CDC again. But I think he'll really love being around the other kids.

7. Hayden has officially switched to 1 nap and it's been going great. We just need to get out of the house every morning (or else he gets really cranky by 11 a.m.). That's not a problem and I've actually fallen in love with our new schedule. And, get this, he's been taking 3-4 hour naps. On Monday he slept for 4 hours and 15 minutes. Ahhhh. . . that makes mama and baby happy!

8. That brings me to my biggest hesitation about him going to the CDC (Child Development Center). He'll be in a room with 7 other 1-year-olds and they follow a daily schedule, napping from noon-2 p.m. On cots. That's right, no cribs for these kiddos. So, he'll have a hard enough time trying to settle down and sleep with the other kids in the room, but he won't even be in a crib. And he only gets 2 hours. I'm preparing myself for very early bedtimes for him on the days I work.

9. Wooohoooo! I collected this hardware on Sunday morning at the Garden of the Gods Ten Mile Run.

To call it a hilly course is an understatement. This is the elevation profile posted on the race website:



And in case you're wondering exactly what that piece of hardware is, this will give you a better idea:


A bit more exciting than your standard ribbon-medal combo, don't you think!

10. Have a great rest of the week. In the immortal words of my high school track coach, "It's hump day!"

5 comments:

A.K. said...

congrats all around: congrats on the new house, congrats on the run, congrats on the job! i hear ya about the mixed emotions of leaving- but what a cool house to go to!

Anonymous said...

I love your trophy (I don't know what else to call him). Very fun.
Brandy

J.J. said...

lots of big changes for you my friend...i am so happy for the upcoming events! sounds like you have it covered as usual:)

{The Tresslers} said...

Lots of wows and congrats to you and your family!! Love the new house! And as for the naps at school on cots. I was scared about that too (and yes, those nights that they are there are tougher than when they are home) but it works. And atleast it's not permanent! Enjoy your last month in CO! Looking forward to hearing about your new adventures in Montana!!

Susie said...

What a medal that is! I couldn't for the life of me figure out what he was in yoru first picture there- great job on so many levels, Amy!!